Tús Community Work Placement Scheme
The Tús Initiative is a Community Work Placement Scheme, providing short term working opportunities for unemployed people.
The work opportunities are to benefit the community and are to be provided by community, voluntary and not for profit organisations, in both urban and rural areas.
The Tús Initiative is managed, in Co. Waterford, by Waterford LEADER Partnership Ltd., for the Department of Social Protection, which has overall responsibility for the scheme.
The Tús scheme began in 2011 in County Waterford and currently has in excess of 140 Participants, with 6 supervisors
The scheme has proven very successful with both Participants and Community Organisations alike. Participants can gain, or update, their experience, learn new skills and can benefit from a workplace routine, during their Placement.
The work of Not For Profit and Voluntary organisations is greatly enhanced by sponsoring Tús Participants to compliment voluntary organisations locally.
To be eligible to participate on the Tús scheme you must:
- Have been continuously unemployed for at least 12 months and be “signing on” on a full time basis.
- Have been receiving a Jobseekers payment (Jobseekers Benefit or Jobseekers Allowance) from the Department of Social Protection for at least 12 months
- Be currently receiving Jobseekers Allowance
It is not possible to apply for a position on the scheme. Participants are randomly selected by the Department of Social Protection and their names are forwarded to Waterford LEADER Partnership, who then arrange to interview and assess all candidates.
Participants work for 19.5 hours a week and the placement duration is 12 months. Contracts cannot be renewed or extended.
Participants are entitled to 10.5 (ten and a half) days annual leave per annum which must be taken within the year of the placement.
Participants retain any existing benefits or entitlements. Upon completion of their placement, participants should sign on again with their local Social Welfare Office. Participants will not be eligible to participate on the Tús scheme again for 3 years.
Participants on Tús can take up other employment provided it does not interfere with the work and times of the Tús work placement. If participants are offered full-time alternative work they may terminate their work placement contract.
Types of work which may be undertaken
In general, all works and services, undertaken or delivered by the community and voluntary sectors, will be considered eligible.
The following broad categories give an indication of some of the types of work which may be undertaken.
General Community Services -
- Caretaking, securing, supervising of community buildings and spaces.
- Assist with administration/reception
- Community research and evaluation, including genealogy
- Assist with promotion and event management.
- Retail services, in charity or community settings.
Environmental Services -
- Neighbourhood, village and countryside enhancement, including clean up (e.g. Tidy Towns).
- Enhancement of community spaces, gardens, parks, leisure areas, including sport grounds, where services are not otherwise provided.
- Maintenance and renovation of community and sporting facilities.
Caring services -
- Assist in provision of care or supervision, to people with special needs, or the elderly (e.g. Day Care Centre).
- Services for children in community crèches and childcare settings.
- Preparation and delivery of meals for older people or those with limited income (e.g. Meals On Wheels).
Heritage and Cultural services -
- Assist with staffing of cultural, tourism and heritage centres.
- Promotion of the Irish language and local cultural activities.
- Development and maintenance of walking, cycling and leisure trails and amenities.
Expressions of Interest/Communities
This is a unique opportunity for organisations to access a broad range of skills, talents and experience. WLP are inviting applications on an on-going basis, from community, voluntary and not- for- profit groups, to provide quality and suitable working opportunities.
Organisations wishing to apply for a work placement, please download the Expression of Interest Form
Tús Supervisors are available in each area of Co. Waterford, to discuss placement opportunities with community groups or organisations.
Dungarvan Grainne Ryan 086 0283152
West Waterford Tara Doyle 086 0106416
West Waterford Vinny Mernin 086 0206005
Mid Waterford Vincent Power 086 0227087
East Waterford Eoghan Power 086 4124511
Tramore Gary Coad 086 1738979