Funding was awarded under the Rural Development Programme 2014-2022, Social Inclusion measure along with support from the Tomar Trust, towards the restoration of the Old School House in Clonea Power built back in 1870.
The building is a protected structure and was limited for community use due to the poor condition of the facility. This is the sole community space in the village and at the heart of the community with its location beside the church and opposite the school. The Old School house is strategically located within the village of Clonea Power between Kilmacthomas and the Greenway to the Comeragh Mountains.
The project will preserve this beautiful architecturally designed building and restore it for the use of the community which has a large number of senior citizens who live in isolated areas in and around the vicinity. The upgraded facility will provide a strategic meeting place for these people to socialise as well as supporting a variety of classes and will cater for events due to its location beside the church. The committee hosted a number of vintage tea afternoons in the centre and plans to run a regular pop up café are also in place.